Thursday, May 31, 2012

Moving Mom

A couple of weekends ago Mom and I visited her farm in Maine for the first time since December.  We went  to visit church, see a few friends and  dine with my brother and his friend as they vacationed in Camden.   


As we settled in for the night, mom,  sitting on the edge of her bed, looked around wearily.   Her room  now was sparsely furnished as most of her belongings are here.  Things were not "normal"


I went over and put my arms around her and asked, "mom, is this hard for you?"


She replied that it was surreal and that after 70 years of living in the same place, it did not seem possible that it was time to enter into this last phase of her life.  

She prayed openly for quite a while, always thanking the Lord for His Goodness and Grace, for her good, long and healthy life and for her long years of living on the farm. 

As I listened I stared at the wall where her bureau used to be.  Everything had been cleared from it except a small plastic canvas cross on which someone had stitched with yarn "  I LOVE JESUS"  (I'm sure that this was a vacation Bible school gift from a hundred years ago)



I said "Mom, look at the wall.  See what you are leaving behind?"   A proclamation, a declaration, a statement of the most important part of her life was there, perhaps unseen for decades but now boldly speaking ~


when all else fades ~ 
Jesus remains.

Friends  What will you leave behind?  When all the "stuff" has been sifted through what will last.?
It's not too late!  Start today to finish well.  


Blessings~!

3 comments:

  1. So profound! When seemingly all is gone, the “All in All” remains… sharon Dancona

    ReplyDelete
  2. It truly is the desire of my heart to leave a legacy of Jesus too. Sometimes I feel (and I know you shouldn't trust your feelings) like I'm not doing everything or enough. I guess I just don't understand the "rest" part. There's a part of me that just loves being with people and sharing the gift of God and then when I'm alone, sometimes I don't know what to do... Make any sense??? Laurine

    ReplyDelete
  3. extremely touching and beautiful......
    Trish

    ReplyDelete