Thursday, September 13, 2012

Shut Up!

This afternoon as I drove home from the market a car pulled out and looked like it was going to go into my lane.  I beeped the horn and the man SCREAMED,  "SHUT UP"!

Bizarre ~ but it affected me!  

His face was in my memory...his words rang in my ears...He took up space in my spirit and I had not invited him in~!

It reminded me of how much power there is in the spoken word.  

THERE'S ALOT

It is very difficult to have words just skim off of you.   My experience was from a stranger so how much worse from an acquaintance or loved one.

Are you careful about what comes out of  your mouth?  Are you a screamer or reactor rather than a responder?   Do you retaliate with words? When you are in a bad mood does everyone around you know it?

The Scripture says that we will be held accountable for every word that comes out of our mouths!  Matt 12:36

YIKES!

Today listen to yourself.  
Ask the Lord to help you be aware.  
If you are really serious ask some of your friends and family how you are....they probably will be hesitant to share but tell them you need to know.

Maybe you are just a negative talker - I know a few who are ALWAYS on the negative side of neutral.... and I kind of doubt that they even hear themselves anymore.

We are the only ones who can take care of our own stuff.  If you are serious the Lord will grace you to succeed.

Try it ~  I bet you'll like it!

Blessings!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Marnie! I needed this extra nudge. I emailed a friend to apologize for my behaviour. You're used by the Holy Spirit. The Lord dropped into my heart the word humble several times this morning while I was working. then I read your email. God is good. He wants us to be kind to one another.
    Keep up the good work, my friend!
    Love, Joann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marnie, sorry that oaf rattledi Marnie, sorry that oaf rattled you. Years ago I found that I was really stressing over what others did while driving. Cutting you off, yelling, doing totally dangerous things and putting others at risk. I watched a program on TV about road rage and found the advice helpful. One thing was that if you are yelling or getting upset at others in your vehicle when someone does something foolish, they don't know it. They are traveling along with usually no idea how much they upset you. So - you're upset and the only person it is affecting is you.

    It made sense to me but didn't seem to stop the bad feelings I was having. Then I had a thought (I know this was not my thought, it was a message from God) Bless Them! I know it sounds contrary but it works so well I was astounded. In my life I have been though many tough times. Times of loss, illness, dispare and so on. I know that sometimes these things affected my driving and it was only by the grace of God that I didn't cut someone off and cause an accident.

    You never know what is happening to others and it may just be that that poor soul just lost his job, a loved one or is just having a horrible day. It doesn't excuse the behavior, but I find that the instant I feel anger at what someone has done to me on the road, I say to myself, "God Bless you" and the anger goes away - completely! It's amazing! I've been practicing this for many years and it always works.

    So the next time someone cuts you off, yells out the window at you or just does something to annoy you on the road - verbally say "God Bless you" and see how you feel. Hopefully, you will feel the same peace that comes from this. Mind you, it takes practice but it really helps me. debbie

    ReplyDelete