Sunday, October 2, 2011

Habits are Hard to Break!

I have a habit.....Actually I have a number of habits but I am only going to speak of one that the Lord has brought to my mind.  I like to make lists.  To-do lists, and "have done" lists,  those that aid in keeping records.  Those that prove that I have been active and busy,  that I exist and have a purpose.

One day as I was adding some things and people's names to my calendar that I had already taken care of and met with, the sweet Holy Spirit whispered....."Why do you write everything you have done down?"   
As I pondered this question with Him, He showed me that it was a type of self-evaluation.    I was validating my existence.  In case anyone asked or saw my calendar they would be able to see that I hadn't been just sitting around all day,  I am busy, my schedule full.  

He gently said to me "Marnie, there is no need.  It does not matter.  I see you, watch you day in and day out,.  your life is mine and your service is to Me.  Put the pen down"

I would like to tell you that I felt immediate relief, but no..... It is hard to break a habit, train a new way of thinking, believe what we cannot see or hear.   

For God says;

Ephesians 2:8-9

Contemporary English Version (CEV)

8You were saved by faith in God, who treats us much better than we deserve.  This is God's gift to you, and not anything you have done on your own. 9It isn't something you have earned, so there is nothing you can brag about.

I am going to stop my need to validate my existence.  I exist to glorify the Father and to obey His Holy Name.  I am His and He is mine....His banner over me is love.


Rest dear one.....He loves you just as you are.

1 comment:

  1. Very inspiring because I've been "list happy" ever since the government shutdown & I have time to catch up on all my projects and to do's. I'm busier now than ever......HELP!!!! I need serious prayer to focus on the right priorities! Thank you for all your encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete