Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Sisters

My two other brothers are quite different from each other.  My mom has said that you could practically draw a line down the middle of their room it was so obvious.  


Kind of like Martha and Mary.    I think about the gals quite alot.     I get it ~ I really do BUT am not sure what to do about what I get!


How do we meld the two?   I personally think that it is absolutely possible and often necessary.  I don't know of anyone who can just "sit at the feet of Jesus" all day.  Think about the Proverbs 31 woman...she was industrious and active.  She spent her day wisely looking after her household.  


I feel I do the same.....I also tell myself that even though I may not be sitting down my heart is kneeling and Jesus and I are in constant communication.  


I want to practice stillness though...I know a handful of ladies that are practicing Centering Prayer, being still before God.   
I'm just trying to figure it out.   
When?  


Today I got up, fixed mom her breakfast, readied for Bible Study, went to Bible Study, left early to take mom to the Dr's, went shopping for poison ivy meds and lunch for my itchy son, delivered them to Manchester, came home, fed mom, went to Market Basket in the deluge, came home put food away and  fixed dinner for mom, I and a guest.   Visited ....went out to the yard to fine tune it for guests tomorrow before it was pitch dark,  ran to the church garden to pick some tomatoes in the dark, washed the floors, prepped for the luncheon tomorrow, and now am here tending to this....(knowing I need to be up early before ladies arrive)
   
I TRULY WANT TO FIGURE THIS OUT!


My life is full.....I know that when I put Jesus first everything falls into place...I actually experience it every day!  


 But Im not satisfied.... I want more   MORE   MORE!


How are you doing in the Martha/ Mary challenge?    


Lord, Please show us and give us wisdom as to how to live our lives in a way that they will be pleasing to You and bless Your heart!   I need help Lord, in more ways than one and I want to be sure that my priorities are straight and that You are not left in the dust ~   Teach me Lord  Help me to understand Your ways!


Blessings!
Feed back please ~

11 comments:

  1. Why do I feel that we are so kindred spirit in this regard? alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you Marni put Jesus first and it all falls into place, If I don't I hit bumps all day, Give me more; more of Jesus. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! Me too, I'm trying to figure out the balance!!
    God Bless you Marni, for finding time for us in your busy schedule!!!!!!!!!!
    I appreciate your words, thoughts, and advice!! I especially appreciate your honesty!!!
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marnie

    I know how you feel.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. " Come to Jesus" is a song I have asked to be sung at my funeral. It covers my life pretty well Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny you should be thinking of this very issue. Yesterday when I was doing my devotions I "accidently" came across a devotional entitled The Mary and Martha in Me by Rita Schweitz. She used 2 Chronicles 31:20-21 as her reference.
    I walked out of the pantry holding a wooden puzzle in each hand. "Which one do you want?" I asked our two-year-old, hoding out both for him to see. "Those two!" he exclaimed as he matched both puzzles.
    Cale dumped all the pieces of his two puzzles in a big pile and began to work on first one, then the other.
    As I watched his actions, it seemed like God was saying, "This is what you're doing." I was moving back and forth between Mary and Martha activities, trying to sort out the two. I couldn't decide which should come first- prayer or practical attempts to complete my work- so I attempted both together. The result? Interrupted prayer. Distracted activity.
    I was struggling with the delicate balance of being and doing. I wanted to sit at the feet of Jesus and learn to be the person I was created to be. And I wanted dinner to be ready on time!
    As I watched my son patiently work on his two puzzles, inspecting each piece with interest, my own impatience seemed in sharp contrast. Wasn't it God who had given me both puzzles to work on?
    As I thought about it, it dawned on me that the separation between "spiritual" activities and "worldly" activities was an artificial division. The contemplation of what God required had the completion of the tasks he assigned, were interlocking pieces of the same abundant life he pictured. for me. Meeting Christ, like Mary, and meeting the practical needs of thouse around me, like Martha, were both acceptable in God's sight. And God could pseak wherever he chose=in my prayer claoset or in my daily experiences. Seeking God and working wholeheartedly both have their place. The Mary and the Martha in me can live comfortably together!

    Hope that helps! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am one who "sits in the silence". Conversation is a two way street. When I was working I would get up in the middle of the night and sit. Upon going back to bed I would sleep like a rock. Power of God is constant! Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you... and miss you. you are so awesome. Have to admit, I am
    Martha on steroids. and burnt out Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was home yesterday w/fever and was thinking how it's difficult to sit quietly before the Lord when yuo're in pain. yesterday I also thought of my friend, Bonnie, in Canada who is fighting cancer and what I went thru yesterday is nothing compared to what she's going thru daily.
    I think of the One Thousand Gifts - and have to admit I didn't write one down yesterday! Today, I'm at work, slight fever this morning and yes, I have gifts to write down. That's a good way - opens the door - for centering prayer! Joann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow marnie! The Lord is all around all within and whatever you go or do! I love to read what you write, and the Bible and my other devotionals too! But like you i dont have much time either! I am in the season that all i want to do is sit by his feet because no matter what i do or say, is not good, at least i am feeling this way. I feel hurt by others so easy that i dont want to be near anybody especially family members (you know) but with all going on and my busy schedule i try to listen to ihop whatever i am, at home, work, driving, and i am letting those words, songs, calm my heart to practice his presence. I am asking the lord to hear his voice even if i am not thinking about him! I love your writings! I feel so encouraged! Love
    Andreia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marnie,

    Most women can relate the this Mary Martha story.. I know I do......

    You know and have seen how much God has worked in my life.......
    I think I used to be totally a Martha, but am changing into more and more of a combination of both.
    Within the past 6 months or so I no longer wear a watch. It's much more relaxing to just do my errands
    and not feel the pressure of time to rush to the next thing. I can always check my cell phone and the clock is in the car. I am talking to people in the grocery store and
    even have had opportunities to share God with a few.
    It is very freeing.... letting God be in charge of each day.... MOST days....., and just go with the flow and see what
    God has in store for me. Amazing things have been happening.

    Please feel free to post of your blog.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete