Thursday, March 27, 2014

Chutzpah

Such a good Jewish mom.  Such good boys.

"Why not ask, my boys have such potential!."

Can't you hear her now, muttering to herself as she walks home from the market.  The women, who meet at the well, can repeat her story verbatim as she, once again, tells about how HER boys were chosen to follow Jesus.

She is undone in her pride....her sons follow The Master, the Miracleworker, the Teacher.

Mathew 20:20-23. (marnies paraphrase)

The recalling of the mother and sons of Zebedee who come before Jesus, kneeling in worship.

  "Ok, now might be a good time to ask a favor".
V21. Please give orders that my sons will be chosen to sit on your left and right side in Your Kingdom 
V22.  Wait............what?????  "You don't realize what you are asking ..are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink and be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized?"

They answered  "we are able!"

Jesus is kind and understanding with His answer.  (Sorry it's not up to Me")
The other ten...not so much...in fact it left them indignant.

Jesus' teaching of the hour..."whoever wishes to be great among you must be your servant.....to be first you must be a slave...
V28 "just as the Son of Man came not to be waited on but to serve, and to give His life for a ransom for many (the price paid to set them free).

As mom might say.  "Think before you speak".    

Isaiah 55
8“My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the LORD.
“And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.

9For just as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so my ways are higher than your ways
and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.

Be patient friend as He unfolds His Perfect Plan






2 comments:

  1. Good word! Waiting to hear from HIM!

    ReplyDelete

  2. In my reading this afternoon, you and your mother come strongly to me.

    The lost son, you know the parable well. The brother, coming in from the fields hears music and dancing...he became angry and refused to go in...

    So I asked myself, how many times has God been doing something BIG in my life, and because it doesn't fall through my filter of what is BIG, GOOD, RIGHT, TRUE... I have refused to go in.

    SO HIS FATHER WENT OUT AND PLEADED WITH HIM

    God Almighty, Creator of everything, Lord of all: will you really come out to plead with me, even when I don't see the thing the way You do?

    I don't know if this is for you, I know it is for me in this moment and I have been thinking of you and your mother, of fears and changes you must both be dealing with and I am praying for both of you to be rejoicing with the Lord, INSIDE, no matter what the circumstance.

    ReplyDelete